Saturday, April 01, 2006

Showerology

Just realised I've indeed a rather thorough experience of using showers, due to the fact that I rarely stay in the same accomodation for more than a year.

I never get along with water since childhood and before I got stuck in a boarding school I did not like using the type of shower which shoots from right above your head. Thanks for Wymondham college I got over with this quickly because that's all they've got. I adapted it quickly and now I am loving it.

Shower in my boarding school (experience: 6 years)
The shower is actually really good - it's hot and it's sufficently strong, but there are several disadvantages. Firstly, the shower was triggered by one single button, which means that it was impossible to adjust the water temperature, plus, the triggering only lasts for about 10 to 20 seconds and so you need to press the button every now and again to keep the water running.

Shower in the University accomodation (experience: 2 years)
Absolutely shxx. In my first year, my accomodation has no hot water available after 7pm, the colder the colder. Yes I know my hall of residence is the cheapest among all halls but I still don't think I deserve this. Then, when summer approached, this promblem was fixed....
I moved to another hall of residence during my second year of university, and still, it is the cheapest among all "self-cathering" halls. The shower was slightly better, with hot water most of the time (Yes, most but not all of the time, but I still appreciated it). But, the shower was a bit weak.

Shower in London accomodation (a year and a half)
I experienced a whole month of cold and icy shower during winter time. Still can't believe I could get through it and I thought I was gonna die! My flatmates and I both reported the fault almost every 3 days but still nobody came to fix it. In the end, I left my landlord a message saying "Please come to fix the shower as soon as possible. We are all ill and not long till dying". A man came over to fix our shower 2 days after this.

To define whether a shower is good or not, in my opinion the most important requirements are hot and strong. My friend Bear and I came across this topic today morning and we've drawn a conclusion that a third requirement ought to be added: accuracy, i.e. the shower must aim the water to you "accurately". The shower in Bear's ex-accomodation was hot and strong. The problem is, the shower aimed the water at all different directions apart from the area where you are supposed to stand. What's more, it is not possible to shift yourself to a place when the water was shot at because that was kinf of like a shower box (where can you go?).

Results and Discussion:
"Consequently, our results have shown that a shower capable of maintaining a high temperature, a certain magnitude of power and a high degree of accuracy could be defined as a shower of good quality..."
(voice in my head: you are so sad man...)